● Purpose of HES
To encourage international students and individuals to undertake Mandarin Chinese language study in Taiwan, the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the Republic of China (Taiwan) established the MINISTRY OF EDUCATION HUAYU ENRICHMENT SCHOLARSHIP (HES) Program in 2005. While providing language study opportunities for Mandarin Chinese and to learn about Taiwan's culture at certified university or college-affiliated Mandarin training centers.
● Scholarship quotas and designated offices
10 one-year HES quotas will be available for US citizens from the Southwest areas of the USA in the year 2019. Applicants who have a permanent address or are currently enrolling or have been enrolled within the past 3 years full-time in a university located in the following areas: Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii, Caroline Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, Mariana Islands, and American Samoa, please contact or submit your application to:
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Los Angeles
3731 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 770
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Ms. Emily Shen at firstname.lastname@example.org
US citizens who are not in the above mentioned areas, please check your relevant TECO listed below:
Areas Designated TECO Offices in USA
● Areas: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Bermuda Island, Delaware
● Designated TECO Office: Education Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in the United States https://depart.moe.edu.tw/dc/
● Areas: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Education
● Designated TECO Office: Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Boston http://www.moebos.org
● Areas: Northern California, Nevada, Utah, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
● Designated TECO Office: Education Division, TECO in San Francisco http://tweducation.org/index.php/en/front/
● Areas: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri ● Designated TECO Office: Education Division,TECO in Houston http://www.houstoncul.org
● Areas: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Nebraska, North ● Designated TECO Office: Dakota, South Dakota Education Division, TECO in Chicago http://www.edutw.org
● Areas: Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
● Designated TECO Office: Education Division, TECO in New York http://www.edutwny.org
Note: Please be advised that each TECO office may have different quotas, guidelines, requirements, selection processes, and even deadlines. Please directly contact your relevant representative office for details by the end of January.
For applicants who are not US citizens, please contact the Taiwan Representative Offices located in your country or the nearest country. Check online for the Taiwan Representative Offices’ contact information here.
● How long is the award period?
The following are five award periods for a recipient to choose from. However, the final award period will be decided by your Taiwan Representative Offices:
1. Twelve months
2. Nine months
3. Six months
4. Three months
5. Two months (summer program only) in June/July or July/August of 2020.
For those who are awarded 3 to 12 months, their award period is between September 1st, 2019 and August 31st 2020. If recipients fail to undertake their study in Taiwan during this period, their award status will be cancelled and cannot be deferred for next award period. Recipients should be matriculated for the study term/quarter at the individual Mandarin training center as specified in the award. Recipients can defer their matriculation if approved by the Mandarin training center and the MOE; in any case, the yearly award period expires on August 31st, 2021.
If recipients fail to come to Taiwan for enrollment during the above time, they will forfeit their right to retain their scholarships. Scholarship funding will become effective on the date of the recipient’s enrollment. Scholarship funding will end on the month of the expiration of the scholarship, as soon as a recipient drops out, is expelled from a language training center, or if the scholarship is revoked, whichever comes first.
● What are the benefits?
A stipend of NT$25,000 (approximately USD835, subject to exchange rate) is to be offered to the recipient per month. Please note that no additional subsidy will be given. The benefits should be used to cover the entire cost of tuition, as well as providing for room, board, insurance and miscellaneous fees. Recipients are responsible for their own expenses.
Stipends will be awarded monthly based on the students’ attendance records and academic performance and are disbursed through the Mandarin training centers where the recipients attend classes, either by directly depositing into the recipient’s bank account or other method as specified by the individual institutions.
<< Back to Huayu Enrichment Scholarship