Introduction to the Taiwan Scholarship
Since 2004, the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the Republic of China has established the Taiwan Scholarship Program to encourage outstanding international students to undertake degree programs in Taiwan. The Scholarship provides study opportunities in a wide range of disciplines at Taiwan’s best universities and colleges, including such leading fields as information technologies, international relations and business management, Chinese language, literature and art history, teaching Chinese as a second language, etc.
● What are the benefits of the scholarship?
Starting in the year 2016, the benefits of the Taiwan Scholarship have been slightly changed. The benefits policy mainly includes two parts: Tuition/Miscellaneous Fee Subsidy and a Stipend, detailed as follows:
1. Tuition and Miscellaneous expenses: MOE will pay for each recipient the above-mentioned tuition and miscellaneous fees up to NTD40,000 per semester; where the amount is over NTD40,000, the remaining amount must be paid to the university/college by the students.
2. Stipend: a monthly stipend of NTD15,000 (approx. US$500, subject to exchange rate) for undergraduate, or NTD20,000 (approx. US$660, subject to exchange rate) for graduate recipient will be distributed through the school to cover their living and other expenses.
Other fees may include, but are not limited to, “Thesis Advising Fee”, “Insurance”, “Dormatory Fee”, “Computer & Network Fee”, etc. These additional expenses will be solely the responsibility of the recipient.
● How long is the award period?
The award period for each study program varies as follows:
1. Bachelor’s program: maximum 4 years
2. Master’s program: maximum 2 years.
3. Doctoral program: maximum 4 years.
● Maximum Duration of Combination of Awards
Upon completion of a degree program, recipients may reapply Taiwan Scholarship to undertake a higher degree program. However, the maximum duration of each recipient’s total award period is 5 years.
● Annual Award Period
The Annual award period is from September 1st through August 31st of the following year. Recipients must report to their school and matriculate within the required period. If recipients fail to arrive in Taiwan to register and study during this period, unless approved in advance by the receiving institution and the MOE, their award status will be cancelled and cannot be deferred.
If recipients begin their study after the intended study term/quarter has started, their award period will become effective from the month they actually report to and matriculate at their universities/colleges in Taiwan.
● Expiration of Award
All awards will end by the last month of their specified award period. However, if recipients graduate, drop out, are expelled from their institutions, violate R.O.C. laws, receive any major demerits, or their scholarships are revoked, whichever comes first, the award will be terminated.
● Scholarship quotas and designated offices
This year, four Taiwan Scholarships will be available for applicants from the Southwest areas of the USA who is applying for the Bachelor, Master or Doctoral Programs. Applicants who have a permanent address or are currently enrolling or have been enrolled within the past 3 years full-time in a university located in the following areas - Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii, Caroline Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, Mariana Islands, and American Samoa, please contact:
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Los Angeles
3731 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 770
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Ms. Emily Shen at email@example.com
American applicants who are not in the above mentioned areas, please check your designated TECO office listed below:
Areas Designated TECO Offices in USA
● Areas: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Bermuda Island, Delaware
● Designated TECO Office: Education Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in the United States https://depart.moe.edu.tw/dc/
● Areas: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Education
● Designated TECO Office: Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) in Boston http://www.moebos.org
● Areas: Northern California, Nevada, Utah, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
● Designated TECO Office: Education Division, TECO in San Francisco http://tweducation.org/index.php/en/front/
● Areas: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri ● Designated TECO Office: Education Division,TECO in Houston http://www.houstoncul.org
● Areas: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Nebraska, North ● Designated TECO Office: Dakota, South Dakota Education Division, TECO in Chicago http://www.edutw.org
● Areas: Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
● Designated TECO Office: Education Division, TECO in New York http://www.edutwny.org
Note: Please be advised that each TECO office may have different quotas, guidelines, requirements, selection processes, and even deadlines. Please directly contact your designated TECO office for details by the end of January.
For applicants located outside of the USA, please contact the Taiwan Representative Office located in your country or the nearest country. Check online for your Taiwan Representative Office’s contact information at Overseas Office of Republic of China (Taiwan).
<< Back to Taiwan Scholarship