Additional Important Information
What else should applicants do?
1. Please note that scholarship applications and school admission applications are separate. Applicants must apply directly to the university/college for admission within the application deadline. Each university/college sets its own application deadline.
2. Applicants who are granted scholarships are not guaranteed admission to any university/college. Applicants must make note of the different deadlines for scholarships and school admission. As for how to apply for admission, please refer to the “Taiwan Scholarship FAQ” section.
3. Applicants need to submit a copy of the admission letter to their designated TECO Office in order to secure their scholarship by no later than June 30th. Late submission of these documents will be deemed as a waiver for accepting the scholarship.
1. In principle, selection priority will be given to those who have successfully secured admission to a university/college and potentially will be capable of completing the degree study.
2. Applications will be reviewed and applicants will be interviewed, and will be notified of the preliminary result of the selection by the designated TECO Office by no later than May 31st of that year. TECO office will select successful candidates and alternative candidates which will be placed on a waiting list.
3. Successful and alternative candidates should submit a copy of their letter of admission to TECO office for verification by June 30th. After an admission acceptance letter is received, the designated TECO Office will proceed to finalize its scholarship selection reviews. The final confirmation of the scholarship recipients will be made by July 31st. The roster of the scholarship recipients will be submitted by the end of July to the Ministry of Education and the school they have been admitted to.
1. Recipients should achieve an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above and a graduate GPA of 3.5 or above (on a 4.5 scale). Where grade conversion calculation differs, TECO will base their conversion calculations on the aforementioned calculation guidelines to select outstanding applicants from prestigious universities/colleges.
2. Interviews must be conducted in person or by video conferencing so as to interact with the applicants and better judge their demeanor and moral character.
3. Priority will be given to applicants with a certificate in TOCFL-levels of Level 4 (Intermediate) or above.
What privileges are there for Taiwan Scholarship recipients?
1. Once your application is finally approved, you will receive one copy of the Scholarship Certificate Letter issued by your designated TECO office for you to keep as an honor by July 31st. The certificate is also used as a personal financial statement shown to schools and for applying for the visa to enter Taiwan, as well as for obtaining an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) for legally staying in Taiwan afterwards.
2. As a national scholarship recipient, your application for visa will be honored by the Visa Section of your local TECO office, which means it is issued free of charge. Please do remember to enclose your Taiwan Scholarship certificate letter with our visa application, fail to do so may result in a fee charge.
3. Taiwan Scholarship recipients are eligible to apply for a Resident Visa directly without waiting 4 months after enrollment. However, please note that the holders of resident visas need to apply for ARCs within 2 weeks of entering Taiwan or else will be fined by the government.
4. Recipients will be invited to attend an orientation organized by their designated TECO office, usually in August, to better understand the living and study environment in Taiwan. It is also a chance to meet and exchange with returning recipients before new recipients depart for Taiwan.
5. All scholarship recipients are automatic members of Taiwan Alumni Association in Los Angeles (TAA in LA). The Taiwan Alumni Association Los Angeles Chapter aims to bring individuals together who have previously studied in Taiwan and are now located in the L.A. area or beyond. All those interested in experience-sharing, engaging in dialogue on culture or language, or networking with fellow Taiwan alumni are welcome to participate in this organization.
For important information regarding the scholarship, such as re-applying, renewal, suspension, revocation and insurance, please refer to the “FAQ” section.
<< Back to Taiwan Scholarship